So, we have been trying to increase our chicken herd, as coyotes have cleaned us out in the past, I am sure that we have lost to close to 200 chickens altogether. We are always trying to find hens, as I collect the fresh eggs, and we eat roosters, when we get too many of them born or given to us. We have friends and family that will always give us roosters. I don't mind, as they usually are ok.
I was listening to trades and sales yesterday, and a man came on with some free chickens!!! I couldn't pass it up. I usually make David call on the stuff I hear, but this time I called. All the other times, we waited too long and lost out on them. I called and asked what kind, and she, the mans wife, told me a mix with a small banty rooster. I told her I would call my husband to make arrangements to pick them up. Yeah!!
The man called me back and told us after 5:30 to 6:00 would be best, and of course I said no problem. We went by their house (happened to be Jon and Diane's old house) but they weren't home. So I called and left a message.
David went and took his shower and was in his shorties, socks and cutoff T. I still hadn't showered, and then they called us at 6:50. We flew up, got ready, and off we took, in the Ford dually. With a rabbit cage tied to the back. We got there and they had all the chickens gathered up, and then they started telling us all their names. Haha, I thought I was bad. There was Reba, Mama, Dandy Dan, and it went on. An assortment of chickens, and she told us some were Easter egg chickens.
We loaded them up in the cage and headed home, stopped at Super Stop, and I just giggled, because Who Does That? Its dark out, (but light under the canopy of the gas station), we drive up in a flatbed dually, he's walking around in shorties with velcro slip on shoes with socks scrunched down his hairless legs, with a ball cap and big old jacket????? With a rabbit cage full of chickens on the back of the truck??? Haha, I told him that I was going to get him some bib overalls and a straw hat!!! Heeheehee.
My new chickens were happy to be in a new home, my other chickens were happy too, and all was well this morning with all. I will get some pictures of the happy herd.
No comments:
Post a Comment