Well, my hunt is over, but the country and good times that I had were well worth it. I didn't really need another deer in my freezer anyway, haha.
I saw some beautiful country on horseback, and really enjoyed the riding. We flushed out 3 does on Wednesday, and they weren't to concerned about us at all. They just went on their way grazing and picking their way through the brush. It always so neat and exciting to see any kind of wildlife in their natural habitat, doing what they do, living the way that God meant them too. My horse and I walked over a cottontail. It thought that it was being so sneaky, darting under and to the side of us.
On Thursday, we hauled a steer to slaughter to Guzmans for Uncle Bob. At Guzmans there was a beautiful longhorn steer that wanted to play. Its horns had to be at least 5 feet across, and the base at least 21 or 22 inches. It was so cool. I think we need to get one. On the way back we went through the backroads of Bonita and Stockton pass, stopped and glassed in several places. It was some beautiful country. David saw one, but we both decided that that was such a long hike to where the deer was, rough but beautiful country, and neither of us were up to that hike. Cross canyon it was an easy 1000 yards or more, and on land, down into a canyon and then up and then down then up and down and up, with huge rocks and cacti, UGH!! So we decided to leave him there.
Friday, I worked (I did not want to go back to work, as the country is so much nicer) and caught up on all that had been left. I had a headache by the end of the evening that was a bit painful.
I woke up with it (the headache) on Saturday, so we decided to not go until the afternoon. We went to a few yardsales, came home and I took a nap which really helped. I went to Frye Mesa, with Jon and Brooke, and of course, Jon decided to pick on me just like David with the skinny road and deep canyons. And Brooke just kindof jumped in too. Talk about a bunch of stinkers.
We hiked alot that afternoon, and even though I know he went slow, I still felt like a little kid, trying to keep up with my mom or dad. Ohh ha ha, he walked my legs off. I was pokey, but managed to hang in there. I am not sure how far we went but it was pretty steady going the whole time, and the last hour was up hill. Probably a few miles. The grass was about 2 feet and in some places up to 3 3 1/2 feet. There were rocks all over but fairly good going. When you dropped into the little canyons, it became a little rougher as the grass was denser and hid the rocks, cactus and yucca and century plants that had died and fallen down. You had to be careful, but it wasn't nearly as rough as Unit 32.
Jon would get on the rim of the canyons and he made me sick, as he was usually standing on a near perpendicular ridge. (I could be exaggerating a little, but not much). No fear at all!!! And then he would roll big rocks down the canyons in hopes of scaring something out. No luck, but it was really neat to hear the rocks cracking and banging against other rocks, and then the echos of it rippling through the canyons. It must be quite frightening to hear a landslide of rocks or even snow, the roaring must be so intense.
The bad thing about being pokey, is that when the fast people stop to let you catch up, as soon as you catch up, they head out again. Soooo, no rest for the pokey I guess. I tried really hard to keep up, and by the end of the hike that evening, I just figured to put my head down and keep on moving, even though Jon was looking for a deer, I decided to keep putting one foot in front of the other, and at that point, I hoped that he really didn't see one. He would stop, and I would keep going, and then he would just catch up and pass me. The thought of packing it our either up the hill or down the canyon, at that point, was just not very thrilling. And then, that meant I had to drive off down the road off Frye Mesa, because he would have wanted to take it down the canyon. I am such a chicken on roads like that.
He would say just a little farther, Mom. You can see the truck Mom. Its just a thousand yards Mom. The truck was a little twinkle in the distance and that didn't include the canyon we had to cross still.
Thank Jessie for getting me into Zumba, I think it really helped to get me into shape. I only go twice a week, but even though I ached the next day or two or three, my legs held up under the hike and horseback riding. No excuses for me now, haha, gotta keep it going. I don't quite recover as well, but its a good kind of sore feeling.
Some very beautiful country, and now that I know I don't have any room for excuses, we are going to get back out and keep on trucking through this country. I will probably put in again next year, but now I know that I can do a halfway decent job at it. We also are going to try to get a camp trailer again, and be done with the tent thing. I hope, it hurts to get up off the ground. Oh my, well, I am so glad I put in, as it got me back to one of the places that I love the most, OUTSIDE, in the COUNTRY, hiking and having a good time.
No comments:
Post a Comment