Grandma Divi always seemed to make a fruitcake and give it to us during the holidays. It seemed as if she just knew that we liked or loved them, and of course, we never told her no. Never wanted to do that.
She was the kind to serve you a plate of food, and when you looked as if you were getting done with any part of it, she'd ask you would you like some more _____ and before you could answer, it was plopped on your plate. She made the best refried beans, hot tortillas, sopa, mmmmm. The more you ate, the more she was happy, and the sicker you felt because you were always soooo overstuffed. The food was the best, though, and you learned to always go there with an empty stomach. After you ate, you would sit down to watch tv and inevitably would pass out on her couch.
Fortunately my brothers and I were big eaters and my kids learned to eat at least seconds, just to appease her. I miss my grandma and all she was.
At Christmas, she made fruitcakes and always gave them to us. I never did like fruitcake, but always took them to make her happy. We would always taste them, and then start our part of the family tradition. We would pass it on to someone. I remember one year, it seemed to pass about 5 or 6 hands, going from one home to the next.
So, this year, I am contemplating starting a new fruitcake tradition, haha, (seeing as how my family is a multitude of fruitcakes) maybe I will make a couple and send them to Jake ;), and Rob, and Mom and Bevan, hahaa. I guess to be nice, I can send some tamales with them or something of the sorts.
Wishing everyone a safe and wonderful holiday season. Never too early to start.
No comments:
Post a Comment