Pages

I am a believer

I have lived part of my life afraid, afraid of so much, and now, I am living to learn, love, laugh, enjoy all that is presented before me. I am able to be me, and enjoy whom I am, and not compromise what I believe in. Be whom you are, not what anyone believes that you should be. Live your life completely and wholly, for yourself, for your family, friends, and as God would have it be.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

As night comes.

As the daylight starts to fade with the oncoming night, you feel the coolness as the suns rays become fainter and thinner. A moment of stillness as the shadows gain their length and end up blending with each other.

All the birds are saying their good nights, settling in, cackling, squawking at each other, getting set in the limbs of the trees, the chickens and turkeys settling in on their roosts as well.  Everything becomes more quiet, the goats bleating less and less as they settle in their nooks they use. There is a noticeable change as day creatures become quiet, almost a complete silence, and then the night creatures start up.

Crickets, slowly, start chirping their songs. Quiet swishing of bat wings, as they fly around catching bugs and mosquitoes that come out at dusk, and the buzzing of flying night bugs and beetles. As the night settles in, in the distance you can hear the lonely yip of a coyote. If you are lucky, you can hear others reply or gather together and sing in jubilation over being together or over the unlucky fate of a rabbit. 

Quietly among the noise of leaves rustling in a cool gentle breeze, you may hear the barn owl hoot. Very soft, very low, very lonely. They glide through the night silently, wings spreading at least 4 or 5 feet, gliding through branches without ever making a sound. Once in  while you may hear a nighthawk whistle. 

Our cat wanders, calling, looking for  a mate or out hunting. Its more of a yowl, drawn out. We have a mocking bird that will sing occasionally during the night, a very beautiful song, a soothing melody. Roosters will crow off and on all night long as well, I know all is well when I hear them. Our doves sing all night as well, almost sounding as if someone is laughing hooo hooo hooo. 

The sounds are very soothing, soft mostly, other than when the coyotes come in close, and then with their singing, my dogs get very excited, knowing they are close at hand. They either bark or will sing with the coyotes. Once in a while, a siren is heard, and all the dogs in the area howl or yip at the noise, with our female donkey braying and closing this song.

The night sounds are soothing and soft, filling me with peace. 


No comments:

Post a Comment