Pages

I am a believer

I have lived part of my life afraid, afraid of so much, and now, I am living to learn, love, laugh, enjoy all that is presented before me. I am able to be me, and enjoy whom I am, and not compromise what I believe in. Be whom you are, not what anyone believes that you should be. Live your life completely and wholly, for yourself, for your family, friends, and as God would have it be.

Friday, October 19, 2012

Pumpkins, hayrides, farm animals and kids

Yesterday, we helped with my sister-in-laws annual Halloween festival for the kids at the school that she works for. The majority of the kids at the school are special needs, with disabilities ranging from mild to severe, mentally handicapped and autistic. 

She started doing this about 6 years ago, and we have helped out every year. She provides games for the kids to play, and the kids then get to go and pick out a pumpkin in the field next door. They also get to go on a hayride on our truck and trailer, that my husband drives. My part is giving the kids rides on our horses. The horses seem to know that these kids are special needs, as they seem to talk to them in their own ways.

Our donkey was jealous that she couldn't be more a part of the action, as she loves the attention, but she was petted and talked to through the panels. In our arena we have a large watering trough that has goldfish in it. Some of the fish are about 8 or 9 inches long now and the kids get so excited when they see them. Our goats have always been a hit with  these kids to see, hear, and touch and I brought one that just loves attention. This year we also have turkeys, and they even were able to see an egg that one of my hens had layed. 

It was so much fun watching how their eyes lit up and how they enjoyed these animals. Some would yell, laugh, giggle, others would just hold such a blank expression, yet you could see it in their eyes the joy. These kids are preschool on into about the 14 -15 year range. Many of them have participated over the years, and some of them we know personally. The progress that has been made is awesome with some of these kids. 

It was a busy but fulfilling day for me. The weather was good, and I received so much gratification seeing these kids be so excited and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment